Friday, June 15, 2012

The Freedom Trail Part One

Happy Summer Break, history students! True to form, I spent my first full day in Boston exploring all the corners of revolutionary American history! Follow me on my journey along The Freedom Trail!

Now, my journey was a bit more meandering than just The Freedom Trail. My guide book offered a number of walks to see other points of interest in the city while sticking to most of the trail -- this is precisely what I did!

I started from my hotel, the Boston Mariott Copley Place, a nice spot situated between a number of good sites. I headed east to the beginning of my walking trail: Boston Common. Boston Common is a beautiful, open park, much like New York City's Central Park, though not nearly so large. It was once used as a community grazing field as well as practice grounds for militias. In its more grisly history, the park was also used for public hangings from its ancient elm trees. As I walked along the edge of the park, searching for the red bricks to mark the beginning of my journey, I passed an old graveyard, the first of many I would encounter during the day.

At the Southeast corner of the park, I meandered past the Central Burying Ground, where many British who parished in the Battle of Bunker Hill were buried, the Parkman Bandstand, and up Telegraph Hill to see the Soldiers and Sailors Monument. I must admit I had confused myself when reading about Telegraph Hill, until I remembered there is also a like-named hill in San Francisco, where Mark Twain once lived, and upon which Coit Tower stands, a commemoration to fire fighters. In any case, they are not the same hill!

Along the base of Telegraph Hill is Frog Pond, a dismal memory of what was once a fun summertime location. As my guide book says, "In colonial times, sheep and cows slaked their thirst at this watering hole. Later, Bostonians fished in it for minnows in the summer and ice-skated on it in the winter." Today it is lined with concrete, filled with a murky green water, the signs posted along it forbid wading in or drinking from the water, and the only frogs to note are golden statues at the end of the pond. Even they loom depressed.

After exiting the Common, I continued north on Tremont Street, passing Park Street Church, where William Lloyd Garrison would denounce slavey in the mid-1800s. Just beyond the church, where I passed a school tour group being led by a man dressed in colonial garb, I entered the Old Granary Burying Ground, extremely hallowed ground in American history, as many of our revolutionary figures were buried here, including John Hancock, Samuel Adams, and Paul Revere.

Fun fact to note: John Hancock is famous for his large signature on the Declaration of Independence. People often refer to a signature as a "John Hancock." Well, get this -- John Hancock forgot to put his John Hancock on his own will! According to the colonial tour guide I was eavesdropping on, this quite upset Mrs. Hancock, as she was left without any entitlement to his estate.

Here are the photos of Paul Revere's original tomb, monument, and the fun colonial tour guide.

Stay tuned for more Freedom Trail fun!d


2 comments:

  1. Mrs. Anzur,

    Nice blog post! As a native Bostonian, I just wanted point out that the Frog Pond that you speak of is actually a splash pad for children during the summer. Those signs are usually up when the splash pad is undergoing repairs and it's possible it is not even open for the summer yet. Most schools in the Boston area and surrounding suburbs are still in session for at least another week. It's unfortunate you came across it in its current state. In the wintertime the Frog Pond becomes one of the most vibrant places in the city when it transforms into a skating rink. The skating rink is always crowded and it's WAY better to skate and people watch there than Rockefeller Center in NYC! I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay in Boston. I highly recommend the current Massachusetts State House on the Freedom Trail. High school students volunteer there in the summer giving tours and it really fosters a great love for history and politics. I was one of those tour guides many many summers ago! I'm sure you will meet some cool students and some cool stories to bring back to your class. Also, the Great Hall in Faneuil Hall which is on the second floor of the main historic building right behind the Samuel Adams statue. There is a lot of Boston history in the Great Hall and it's easy to miss if you're not looking for it. The information desk inside should be able to point you to the correct stairway that leads up there. Happy travels in my hometown!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the info! I'm so glad you're able to say that Frog Pond has far better uses than what I saw. I did actually go by again on Saturday to see that some maintenance crews were draining and raking the murky water of the pond. That left me hopeful, and now hearing this from you, I am very glad to hear that Frog Pond is a "hopping" place for Bostonians. I had a wonderful visit to your city, though did not get to the Great Hall nor the State House. However, I know this will not be my last visit to Boston (if I could only hope to live there!) and look forward to checking out those sites next time.

      Thank you again for your comment and for reading! I'll have a number of other posts relaying my journey, so please feel free to add any other info I may have missed or missed out on.

      Delete